Sunday, November 18, 2007

Born Again Virgin

Here I am sat on the 17.41 from Lancaster to Euston.

It's going to be just short of 11 o'clock when I arrive which seems
extraordinary when I could do London to Paris and back in the same time.

Still, god forbid they should do engineering works on a work day. Take
up everyone's leisure time as long as people aren't held up getting to
jobs they hate on a Monday morning.

Bah...

To be fair I'm probably a bit biley since my trip up in First Class
was quiet as could be. In fact I had a whole carriage to myself, was
fed and watered regularly and made it in under 3 hours.

The very reason I'd spent the extra.

Years ago, when I used the West Coast line on a regular basis I would
openly hiss and curse the First Class coaches as I pushed my way into
Standard Smoking carriages (that's right kids).

Now, with a bit of disposable income, (and credit cards are disposable
income, right?) I'm justifying the "just thirty quid more" based on
the horror stories of non-vehicled friends on Virgin Trains.

Well, as First is now exhibiting all the everyday nuisance that I'd
hoped to avoid, god only knows what Standard is like...

So, I sit here contemplating the classless society and enjoying the
man over the aisle struggling with a monstrosity of a Windows laptop...

I tap away on my iPhone and listen to the girl opposite, who I'd
vaguely flirted with earlier, say to her mate on the phone that she'd
see her AT SCHOOL tomorrow....

I listen to Richard Thompson from the Macbook as I've not got the
right earphone connector for the iPhone and refuse to use the Apple
ones, not out of any particular audio-snobbery (although that would
probably be justified) but because they fall out of my ears and
broadcast more music to anyone within 100 yards of me rather than my
own head...

And more importantly realise that this entire post is merely an excuse
to practice on the keyboard and show off my week old but still magical
new toy (forgot to put any witty bracketed comments in this paragraph).

Well, I'm off for thirty quids worth of complimentary shortbread and
to send this while I've actually got an EDGE signal...

Whoopee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home